Monday, June 5, 2017

Olga and the Smelly Thing from Nowhere by Elise Gravel


Welcome to Middle Grade Monday! Today I am reviewing Olga and the Smelly Thing from Nowhere by Elise Gravel.

The Story-
Olga is a budding scientist. She loves animals and likes to record things in her journal. One day she finds a new species of animal, a smelly, oval, hairy thing that she calls Meh. Using her journal she writes down all of her observations and Meh facts. One day though, Meh disappears and Olga goes out of her mind trying to get him back. Could he have been taken back to his alien planet or  be hanging out in the grocery store eating olives?

My Thoughts-
This is a truly weird story and my eight year old LOVED it. Olga is kooky and loves to categorize things like animal poop and fart sounds. I can not even tell you how weird this book is. Meh is a smelly creature that eats olives and burps. Olga and he/she go on crazy trips around town and meet interesting people.There are images of her journal pages with fun animal facts and also illustrations, all done in black, white and red.

You can't help but laugh at the story and the zany drawings and insights. I kept reading with the hope of finding out what Meh was, but spoiler, turns out you never find out, which would have bugged me, except the whole book had been so strange, that by the end I just shook my head.

Middle graders will love this book. It reminds me of Captain Underpants and other illustrated/story combos. It is a simple read, but all the potty humor and strange scientific revelations keep it fun. It is really hard to give this a score, because the story is short, but I'm just going to give it a 5 for being weirdly odd.

4 comments:

  1. Kids love an odd book and this one looks like it might grab a reader's attention during the long summer months. I'll be looking for Olga to read for myself. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your daughter loved this quirky book and you didn't. Perhaps it is the absurdity and humor. I'd probably react like you did! Enjoyed your review and your daughter's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it, but it was really weird, lol

      Delete
  3. Quirky is the right word for this one. I found it to be fun. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete